Sunday, May 13, 2007

Old Age

I just put in my perfunctory calls for Mother's Day. Got stuck in a twenty minute conversation with an in-law regarding her recent vacation. Not only did I hear what food as available for breakfast,lunch, and dinner, but also what substitutions were allowed, as in "If you don't like red meat, you can substitute the chicken, which is very good. It comes with a hollandaise sauce and carrots. I usually don't like the carrots, and would prefer the green beans but not when they are wilted and they were. I told the waiter and he took them back..........." I felt myself wilting away towards the end and had to hang up vowing to never again ask about her vacations lest I get a full fledged 7 days menu recall.

I started to feel bad about not being able to tolerate what was in her mind a fascinating story, and then I felt bad for her because she really , I mean really looks forward to eating out and recalls everything with painstaking detail about what she ate. I don't think she could have always been this way.

Guilt turned to selfishness and I hoped I would never get that way, dependent on a cheap meal out to be the highlight of my week. I hope to still be writing wonderful novels, and be a vibrant and active old chick, who still loves concerts, movies, and good wine.

I think a lot has to do with how old you feel you are mentally. I've met many an old lady who act and look terrifically young, who are engaged and informed. Mentally I feel like I'm about 25 even though I am 34.

I finally got to see Stranger Than Fiction last night and I loved it. I felt a lot at times like Emma Thompson, even the jumping off the bridge part. It reminded me of my passion for writing and I stayed up for 2 hours after it was over and polished off a chapter based on my first crush.

All in all, a good night.

No comments: